The National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library is seeking a temporary associate to assist with managing its Czech & Slovak Heritage Garden. Under the supervision of the NCSML’s Director of Programs, this associate will manage the garden maintenance schedule for the summer.
- Plant, maintain and harvest a small vegetable garden performing various necessary tasks
- Responsible for maintaining required knowledge of established garden plants and understanding the cultural requirements to maintain their growth and cultivation
- Determine plant needs – water stress, disease and damage, growth decline, pruning needs, and general health of plants
- Determine maintenance needs – weeding (pulling of weeds), clearing of fallen debris
- Work with staff to determine harvesting schedule and related programming
- High level of knowledge about gardening/agriculture, and experience successfully managing a garden.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; comfortable with taking initiative; ability to handle multiple tasks at once.
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions; Comfortable doing manual labor and ability to lift 50lbs required
Hours and Compensation
- 10 hours per week. June-September 2018.
- Schedule is flexible. Compensation is $10/hour.
- Free Admission to Museum Galleries
- 2 Free Passes to share with friends or family
- Museum Store Discount
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library
Attn: Teresa Stenstrup, Director of Programs
1400 Inspiration Place SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404
To apply for this job email your details to Tstenstrup@ncsml.org