The NCSML seeks a Director of National Development (DND). The DND is responsible for soliciting gifts of significance nationwide. This person will manage relationships with approximately 100 prospective donors and identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these very important friends of the institution. S/he must be a highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships and closing gifts of $10,000+. Comprehensive fundraising efforts to support programs and increase the endowment are underway to achieve the goals of the plan. The DND will be a key member of the NCSML development team.
Director of National Development
Major Function and Purpose
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the institution
- Interest in all aspects of museum and library sciences and a dedication to promoting the NCSML’s fundraising priorities through developing excellent relationships with staff, board members, volunteers, and the development office team
- Success in managing multi-functional or diverse areas
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments
- Knowledge of fund development strategies
- Experience with databases (DonorPerfect experience preferred)
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiative and utilize innovative techniques and ingenuity
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all NCSML departments
- Ability to clearly understand and communicate NCSML’s value, its programs, and exhibits
- Ability to research opportunities
- Ability to work extremely flexible hours
- Ability to participate as a team player
- Ability to develop, write and implement strategic plans
- Ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects
- Ability to gather, analyze, and evaluate a variety of data
- Sense of humor
Title: Director of National Development
Reports to: Vice President for Development and Marketing
Status: Full-time salaried position
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, salary expectations and three professional references to:
Jim Miller, Vice President for Development and Marketing
Applications may also be submitted via Indeed.com
No phone calls, please
Five to seven years of experience with major and/or planned giving solicitation, donor cultivation or fundraising preferred. Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the skills, knowledge and ability necessary to perform job tasks.
Interest and experience in historical or cultural institutions preferred.
Valid Iowa driver’s license.
About the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library
For more than 46 years, the NCSML has collected, preserved, and interpreted the stories of Czechs and Slovaks. In the beginning, our audience was relatively small, mostly local and composed primarily of visitors with Czech or Slovak heritage. As a National Smithsonian Affiliate since 2018, we are a national museum with international standing, and our audience has become much more diverse.
In recognition of our shifting demographics, the NCSML is positioning itself as a place where anyone from anywhere can appreciate the stories, experiences and contributions of Czechs and Slovaks. It is a place to celebrate cultural diversity and have fun; and it is a place to dig deep. In learning about others, we hope visitors will learn about themselves, and make connections to important contemporary issues.
Mission: The NCSML preserves, presents, and transcends unique stories of Czech and Slovak history and culture through innovative experiences and active engagement to reach cross-cultural audiences locally, nationally, and internationally.
Vision: The NCSML is an innovative leader in lifelong learning, community building, and cultural connections. We encourage self-discovery for all ages so that the stories of freedom, identity, family, and community will live on for future generations.
The NCSML is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com