The Director of Community Engagement and Development (DCED) will develop external relationships and increase public awareness of the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library (NCSML), with a focus to find financial and in-kind opportunities and collaborations to strengthen and embed the NCSML into the community. DCED will determine and organize strategic fundraising goals to achieve and exceed revenue goals.
Director of Community Engagement and Development
Major Function and Purpose
Essential Job Functions
Corporate and Community Engagement
- Track and solicit new businesses partnerships. Connect with businesses on their support goals while also introducing them to the NCSML. Look to find connections for future support and collaboration.
- Seek community partners for educational and programmatic initiatives. Work with NCSML departments to identify partners that could be key in cutting expenses from project budgets.
- Work with community partners to promote upcoming NCSML events and partner involvement.
- Implement and execute a social media and marketing strategy to serve as communication to potential corporate and community partners.
- Serve as a liaison for the NCSML to new businesses in the Czech Village/New Bohemian district.
- Serve as the NCSML representative on appropriate community boards and committees.
- Work with Vice President of Development and Marketing, and Development Team to strategize annual budgetary goals and annual giving prospects.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with a portfolio of donors.
- Develop and track corporate sponsorship proposals for event and program support.
- Develop and track annual corporate appeal.
- Work with corporate partners to develop individualized marketing and fundraising opportunities for their company for the benefit of the NCSML.
Fundraising and Donor Recognition Events
- Provide leadership and assistance on all fundraising events working with internal departments to execute.
- Oversee BrewNost and President’s Gala to ensure fundraising goals are met through planning and logistical implementation.
- Oversee development tables at NCSML events.
- Work with Vice President of Development and Marketing to develop and implement fundraising efforts.
- Collaborate with other NCSML departments to ensure support messaging is included in all NCSML initiatives.
- Maintain professional policies and knowledge by attending educational workshops and trainings as appropriate.
- Attend networking events to stay current with community events and network with other corporate and non-profit professionals as an NCSML representative when appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of annual fundraising strategies.
Experience working to engage community and raise awareness of organization.
Experience in planning & execution of fundraising events.
Experience and knowledge of social media platforms.
Experience with fundraising databases – DonorPerfect experience a plus.
Experience with a variety of software, including all applications in the Microsoft Office Suite.
Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Excellent independent problem solving skills and initiative.
Excellent teamwork capability and ability to work productively and respectfully with various team members.
Ability to be a self-starter and work independently under pressure to meet deadlines.
Ability to plan, prioritize, and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-moving environment.
Ability to think creatively with ability to partner with many different work place cultures.
Ability to act as a spokesperson on behalf of the organization to engage donors, prospects, volunteers and others.
Ability to work flexible hours.
Ability to travel when required.
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission of the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library.
Title: Director of Community Engagement and Development
Reports to: Vice President for Development and Marketing
Status: Full-time salaried position
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and salary expectations to:
Jim Miller, Vice President for Development and Marketing
Applications may also be submitted via Indeed.com
No phone calls, please
• Three years of experience with donor cultivation or fundraising preferred. Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the skills, knowledge and ability necessary to perform job tasks.
• Interest and experience in historical or cultural institutions preferred.
• Valid Iowa driver’s license.
About the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library
For more than 45 years, the NCSML has collected preserved and interpreted the stories of Czechs and Slovaks. In the beginning, our audience was relatively small, mostly local and composed primarily of visitors with Czech or Slovak heritage. Now a national museum with international standing, our audience has become much more diverse. In recognition of our shifting demographics, the NCSML is positioning itself as a place where anyone from anywhere can appreciate the stories, experiences and contributions of Czechs and Slovaks. It is a place to celebrate cultural diversity and have fun; and it is a place to dig deep. In learning about others, we hope visitors will learn about themselves, and make connections to important contemporary issues.
Mission: Inspire people from every background to connect to Czech and Slovak history and culture.
Vision: We are a museum that celebrates life. Czech life. Slovak life. American life. We are a museum that encourages self-discovery; a museum that asks what it means to be free. Through extraordinary exhibitions and experiences, we tell stories of freedom and identity, family and community, human rights and dignity. Our stories connect yesterday with today and tomorrow.
The NCSML is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org