- This event has passed.
Food Tour of Historic Czech Village (Sold Out)
October 25, 2017 @ 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
$20 for members, $25 for general admission.
Join National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library staff on a walking food tour of historic Czech Village. Learn about the unique history behind this fascinating neighborhood while sampling Czech food and drinks. Special stories associated with food and restaurants in the Village will be highlighted. The menu and schedule will be updated closer to the event.
Please make note of any dietary restrictions when purchasing your ticket or feel free to contact Kaitlin Schlotfelt, Family Programs Manager.
Tour lasts about 2 hours. Wear comfortable shoes and warm clothes. Meet at the NCSML’s clock tower (corner of 16th Ave SW and Inspiration Pl SW) by 6:00 p.m. Parking is available in the museum’s lots or in Czech Village. The museum’s parking garage will not be open for this program.
In case of thunderstorms/lightning, a rain date will be posted.
- 5:30-6 – Meet at the NCSML Clock Tower. We will leave at 6 p.m. sharp for the tour.
- Stop 1: Walk to Lil’ Bo’s where we will have an appetizer of goulash and dumplings and talk about the oldest bar in Cedar Rapids
- Stop 2: Head to The Village Meat Market where we will have the main course of rope sausage, candied red cabbage, German potato salad, and rye bread and get the history from the owner, Lou Oettinger Thompson.
- Stop 3: Walk over to Sykora’s Bakery for kolaches and coffee. John Rocarek, the owner, will talk to us about the history of the bakery.
- Stop 4: Head over to Lion Bridge Brewing Company to try out their Kundera Kolsch (for those of us who are 21 and over), a Pierogi with sour cream and onions as well as a history lesson of the building. The tour will end here around 8 p.m.
This tour is now sold out.