Full-time salaried position
Reports to the President and CEO
One full-time direct report: Digital Content Specialist
The director of marketing and communications advises the leadership team on strategy aimed at promoting the NCSML and developing and engaging people from every background. He/she is responsible for developing integrated approaches to marketing that leverage a wide range of traditional, online and emerging techniques. This person will contribute as part of the content team on exhibitions and programs, advising on themes, related programs and marketing and promotional strategies to reach and engage a broader audience. Oversees the production of all print and digital collateral materials.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to organize, prioritize, multi-task, work well with staff, vendors and the media, and work efficiently to produce multiple projects on time and on budget. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
Works cross-departmentally to carry out projects and coordinate ideas. Is a team player. Is flexible and resourceful. Anticipates needs of management and departments. Presents a professional demeanor, particularly when dealing with the public, board, members, donors or other important constituents.
- Working with a limited budget, create, implement and oversee strategies and timelines for marketing, communications, advertising, media buying, and public relations
- Produce products on time and on budget, handling multiple projects and deadlines at the same time
- Coordinate with other museum department directors and museum director to ensure all marketing and communications needs are being met
- Develop relationships with vendors, sponsors, advertisers and community contacts in order to maximize marketing dollars
- Oversee the production of and approve all marketing and communications materials
- Develop, manage and oversee marketing and communications budget
- Provide monthly marketing and communications reports. Oversee the compilation, analysis and evaluation of market data
- Protect and develop the NCSML brand for diverse local and national audiences
- Negotiate media rates, ad buys, and creative media and promotional partnerships
- Conduct market research to determine best use of marketing resources
- Develop and implement marketing plans and projects for new and existing exhibitions, programs, events, and community initiatives and measure and report results
- Stay current on new marketing tools including traditional media, social media and guerilla marketing
- Write media releases, newsletter content and promotional materials
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Proven ability to innovate, and to lead the creative process
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal under time constraints
- Excellent project management and decision-making skills
- Prioritizes to meet deadlines
- Contemplates larger issues and ideas, while also thinking logically to maintain consistency and accuracy in work
- Ability to develop and implement an integrated marketing and communications plan
- Excellent interpersonal skills; individual must be personable and diplomatic in working with diverse constituency and staff
- Proven experience using best practices in marketing (including related technology), public relations, graphic design, internet marketing, and printing industry
- Budget development and monitoring experience
- Proven management/supervisory experience
- Knowledge of regional and national marketing trends for arts organizations/museums as well as internet/website management
- Oversee photographic/video production and editing
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional marketing and communications experience
- Management experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel; Adobe Creative Suite, and social media tools
- Commitment to a team approach
- Language- excellent language and editing skills; superior writing skills
- Math- ability to maintain complex budgets
About the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library (NCSML)
For more than 40 years, the NCSML has collected preserved and interpreted the stories of Czechs and Slovaks. In the beginning, our audience was relatively small, mostly local and composed primarily of visitors with Czech or Slovak heritage. Now a national museum with international standing, our audience has become much more diverse. In recognition of our shifting demographics, the NCSML is positioning itself as a place where anyone from anywhere can appreciate the stories, experiences and contributions of Czechs and Slovaks. It is a place to celebrate cultural diversity and have fun; and it is a place to dig deep. In learning about others, we hope visitors will learn about themselves, and make connections to important contemporary issues.
Mission: Inspire people from every background to connect to Czech and Slovak history and culture.
Vision: We are a museum that celebrates life. Czech life. Slovak life. American life. We are a museum that encourages self-discovery; a museum that asks what it means to be free. Through extraordinary exhibitions and experiences, we tell stories of freedom and identity, family and community, human rights and dignity. Our stories connect yesterday with today and tomorrow.
The NCSML is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to:
President and CEO